Diabetes and nutrition services
Whether you are newly diagnosed with diabetes or another health condition or have been dealing with it for a long time, our registered dietitians and registered nurses are here to meet you where you are, and work with you to guide you on your wellness journey.
Recognized by the American Diabetes Association, we are the oldest ADA-accredited program in Oregon and the only ADA recognized diabetes education service in Marion and Polk counties. Our registered dietitians and nurses have been certified in diabetes education by the National Certification Board for Diabetes Educator. This means we provide you with the most up-to-date and evidence-based information.
The diabetes education deam at Salem Health provides comprehensive diabetes self-management education and support that empowers people with prediabetes and diabetes to achieve optimum wellness. We can help you learn to monitor your blood sugar, manage your medication, plan healthy meals, reduce the risk for complications and set goals for lasting change.
Our program includes:
- Individual and/or class appointments
- Individual assessment by a certified diabetes educator.
- Follow-up coaching by a certified diabetes educator for prediabetes, type 1, type 2 and diabetes in pregnancy.
Medical nutrition therapy
Our registered Licensed Dietitians will provide individualized nutrition counseling including a nutritional assessment with meal planning and goal setting for children, adolescents and adults with nutritional needs like:
- Diabetes, prediabetes and gestational diabetes (including prenatal nutrition)
- Digestive disorders
- Heart disease, including high blood pressure and congestive heart failure
- High cholesterol and/or high triglycerides
- Chronic kidney disease or predialysis kidney disease
- Food allergies
- Weight management in children and adults
- Celiac disease/gluten intolerance
- Plant-based nutrition