Autism Educational Classes
These classes are intended for parents, caregivers, professionals who work with children with autism and anyone in the community who is interested.
This is a series of three classes — you are invited to attend one, two or all three depending on your needs and interests.
All classes are on Tuesdays from 6 to 8 p.m.
June 13: Autism: what it is and what it is not
- The DSM-V criteria for the diagnosis
- Understanding the levels of severity
- Differential diagnoses which may be considered rather than autism
- Understanding the new normal...grief and loss for the child you thought you were going to have
- Basic ideas of coping skills
June 20: Autism throughout childhood
- Basic development of a child and how it is different for an autistic child
- Understanding the spectrum. No two autistic kids are alike
- Ideas around building friendships
- Late adolescence and early adulthood
June 27: How to get autism diagnosed and current treatments
- Screeners at the pediatrician’s office
- Early interventions with the school district
- Psychologists who specialize in diagnosing
- Applied behavioral analysis
- Autism Society of Oregon
- Other resources and ideas for care
• There is no charge if you have a child who is currently a patient at Childhood Health Associates of Salem (CHAOS). Please call to register for this discount.
• Childcare is not provided.
• Oregon Registry SET ONE certificates under the CKC-Special Needs will be available for child care providers (pending).
For more information, go online at salemhealth.org/chec or call 503-814-2432 (CHEC).