Registered dietitians and nutrition therapy
A registered dietitian will help you learn what and how much you should eat for your individual needs. We can design a personal meal plan, offer shopping tips and recipes, and answer your nutrition questions.
Salem Health Outpatient Nutrition Services offers one-on-one consultations for wellness:
- Disease prevention (reducing your risk of cancer, heart disease, diabetes, etc.)
- Vegetarian nutrition
- Weight management (all ages)
We also welcome nutrition therapy appointments for managing chronic health conditions such as:
- Cancer (supporting your nutrition status during treatment)
- Celiac disease/gluten intolerance
- Colitis, Crohn’s disease, gastroparesis, and irritable bowel syndrome
- Eating disorders
- Food allergies
- Failure-to-thrive infants or special needs children
- Heart disease or congestive heart failure
- High cholesterol or high triglycerides
- High blood pressure
- Predialysis kidney disease
A referral from your health care provider in required before you meet with a nutritionist. Your doctor may call our office if they need one of our referral forms, or you may print out the referral form from this site and take it to your doctor's office to request a referral. You may also call us yourself and ask us to contact your doctor for you.
In most cases, you can schedule an appointment within two weeks of referral. We will schedule you with the registered dietitian who has the most expertise with your condition.
Many insurance companies will cover one or more visits with an appropriate nutrition-related medical diagnosis.
You can call your insurance company to inquire about your specific policy, or our scheduling department can inquire after we have received your referral.
Most insurance policies require that your primary care doctor make the referral. Salem Health will bill all insurance for you.
If you have a medical diagnosis which would benefit from nutrition therapy but you do not have insurance coverage, you may apply for a scholarship or patient assistance.
Please discuss this with our scheduling department after your provider has made the referral for services.