Salem Cancer Institute invites public to celebrate National Cancer Survivors Day
The cancer institute will host festivities and offer inspiration on June 8 to honor cancer survivors and those who support them.
Salem Cancer Institute invites you to join the celebration on June 8 for National Cancer Survivors Day.
“What a great opportunity to bring the community together to celebrate cancer survivors and remember loved ones,” says Andi Petrone, the institute’s business administrator. “The day will promote wellness and quality of life beyond cancer through various activities incorporating movement, nutrition and stress relief.”
The special day includes wellness classes in Building C on the Salem Health campus, 875 Oak St. SE, unless otherwise noted. To register, call 503-814-CHEC (2432) or visit www.salemhealth.org/chec.
9:45 to 10:15 a.m. Drumming for Wellness
- Experience music as a coping technique to reduce stress, lift mood, and be an outlet for creative expression with Melissa Potts, board-certified music therapist.
10:30 to 11 a.m. Move ‘n’ Groove for Health
- Have fun and get moving with easy to follow dance steps that anyone can do with Mai Dotran, RN, BSN, licensed Zumba instructor.
11:15 to 11:45 a.m. Laughter is the Best Medicine
- Come explore ways humor and laughter can improve quality of life and help with stress management with Wayne Halle, MSW, LCSW, oncology certified social worker.
1 to 1:45 p.m. Eating Well Cooking Demonstration
- Join us at the Wellness Kitchen (Building D, 939 Oak St. SE) as our registered dietitian, Andrea Hamilton, MS, prepares healthy recipes, shares samples, and discusses eating for wellness.
2 to 2:30 p.m. Yoga
- Relax with gentle yoga for any skill level with Ivan Fernandez, yoga instructor.
- 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Survivor Art Showcase: A dozen featured artists will share their favorite works from displays over the past two years.
- Information, refreshments, prizes.
- 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Wellness booths, creative arts activities, complimentary makeovers, and massages (Courtyard).
- 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Live music and smoothie samples (Courtyard).
Salem Cancer Institute saw 2,053 new cancer patients in 2015. The National Cancer Survivors Day Foundation says nearly 14.5 million people nationwide are living with and beyond cancer – and there are more than 32 million survivors worldwide.
Salem Health — an OHSU Partner — offers exceptional care to people in and around Oregon’s mid-Willamette Valley. It is comprised of hospitals in Salem and Dallas, a medical group of primary and specialty care providers, plus other affiliated services. For the second consecutive year, the hospital in Salem received the prestigious 2016 Truven Health 50 Top Cardiovascular Hospitals, placing it among the nation’s highest performing hospitals. “Like” us on www.facebook.com/salemhealth
; follow us on Twitter: @salemhealth
; and view us at www.youtube.com/salemhealth