Salem Health celebrates National Diversity Week
Salem Health plans a week-long celebration to mark National Diversity Week Sept. 30 to Oct. 4, with speakers, food and dancing at the Salem Hospital campus.
Anyone is invited to these free activities and to view art and poetry in the public skybridge.
All the forums are in the Wedel Auditorium in Building B's basement. Friday's Dance Festival is in the center courtyard.
MONDAY, Sept. 30
* Noon to 1 p.m.: Dau Tucker, WHP Human Resources manager: The Power of One. Dau brings a powerful perspective by showing us how to remove "attitudes of unacceptance." Cuisine for sale at Creekside Dining and Lobby B Bistro: Greece, Brazil, the Philippines.
* 5:30 to 6:30 p.m.: Lisa Solterbeck, Equality -- Shifting our Lens through Self-Reflection Work. Lisa works with audiences to open and improve their perspective of others.
TUESDAY, Oct. 1
* Noon to 1 p.m.: Fariborz Pakseresht, Journey across Two Cultures: Life Lessons from an Iranian American. Fariborz is Oregon's Youth Authority Director. He will share his experience growing up in Iran, coming to the U.S. as a college student. Cuisine for sale: Italy, Germany, Russia.
WEDNESDAY, Oct. 2
Cuisine from Ireland, India and Kenya
* 5 to 5:30 p.m.: Brandon Schmidgall, ED Manager: Bringing a Border Perspective to Salem Health. Brandon shares insights (and interesting contrasts) from his trips to other countries.
* 5:30 to 6:15 p.m.: Dr. Nancy Boutin and panel on death and dying. Dr. Boutin leads a staff panel as they address the cultural diversity we encounter at end-of-life for our patients.
THURSDAY, Oct. 3
* 12:30 to 1:30 p.m.: Cathy Buscha: LGBT 101--Basics about the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community. Cuisine: Lebanon, and outside BBQ.
* 5 to 6 p.m. p.m.: Teatro Milagro Theatre's performance--FRIDA, un retablo: Frida Kahlo is legendary for her numerous affairs, self-portraits and inspired generations of feminists around the world.
FRIDAY, Oct. 4
* Special Keynote Forum, 11:30 to 1 p.m.: Donna Beegle--Beyond Awareness: Relating and Communicating with Patients from Poverty Backgrounds. If you haven't heard this nationally acclaimed speaker, don't miss our closing keynote. Cuisine: Soul food, plus Chinese and Puerto Rican cuisine.
* Dance Festival 4:30 p.m., center courtyard by Oak St. turn-around: Square dancing, West African Troup, Irish dancing, Mexican traditional, Philippino Folk/Bora Bora Tahitian, Japanese Hip Hop, Soran Bushi, Taiko Drummers, modern Salsa.
Special thanks to our sponsors: Salem Multicultural Institute, Maps.com (World's Largest Map Store), Tokyo International University, and Compendium Inc., WA.
Salem Health is comprised of Salem Hospital, West Valley Hospital, Willamette Health Partners and other affiliated health care organizations offering exceptional care to people in and around Oregon’s mid-Willamette Valley. Visit us at salemhealth.org; “Like” us on facebook.com/salemhealth; follow us on Twitter: @salemhealth; and view us at youtube.com/salemhealth.